Are your gums receding? If your answer is yes, the problem could be traced to simply with your brushing technique.
To address this problem, you should consider the right kind of toothbrush and the right brushing technique. Moreover, if you have receding gums, you will need more than just an electric toothbrush.
In such a case, a good brush should have a timer, pressure sensors, different brushing modes and orthodontic brush heads (Source).
While these are the features your preferred toothbrush should have, you should also stop being too aggressive while brushing your teeth.
Additionally, it is advisable to brush your teeth for about two minutes at a time. Given the facts above, are you confused about which electric toothbrush to buy?
You have no need to worry: Below are the top electric toothbrush available in the market. Do you want your toothbrush germ-free? If yes consider buying toothbrush sanitizers that will limit your exposure to harmful bacteria and keeps you safe.
Best Electric Toothbrush for Receding Gums
1. Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum – Best Overall
Aside from being helpful in countering receding gums, this unit has been proven to kill about 99.9% of bacteria alongside whitening the teeth.
It also features a gum-care mode. This, coupled with the new InterCare brush head, allows the toothbrush to also enhance gum health. Additionally, it helps in treating inflammation and bleeding. It offers a reliable battery life, too, which is about 12 days, and two brushing modes: the white and clean mode.
The White Mode
The white mode is considered the standard mode for all Philips electric toothbrushes, delivering up to 31,000 brushing strokes per minute. Lastly, another benefit of this product is its QuadPacer timer. To add, this toothbrush is also equipped with pressure sensors.
This sensors will allow you to keep time and to avoid exerting excessive pressure on the gums while brushing.
Pros & Cons
- Relatively long battery life
- Equipped with a QuadPacer timer
- Features a GumCare brushing mode
- Comes with InterCare brush heads
- Features a slender neck
- You may experience some design flaws with this product
2. Waterpik (WP-900) Complete Care Water Flosser – Best Electric Toothbrush for Cleaning and Flossing Teeth
Additionally, it is one of the few electric toothbrush manufacturers offering sonic inter-dental brush heads.
However, some users may find its head a bit uncomfortable. On the other hand, it is best for cleaning deep pockets, crowns, and bridges; and can brush and floss the teeth at the same time.
Lastly, this product uses vibrations and water pressure for efficient removal of food particles and plaque. You should see improvements in gum health within two weeks of using the Waterpik Complete Care Water Flosser.
Pros & Cons
- Comes with an inter-dental brush head
- Great for combating sensitivity and gum disease
- Offers a range of brush heads
- Cleans and flosses the teeth at the same time
- Can deliver up to 38,750 brush strokes per minute
- Relatively long battery life of up to 8 days
- Does not have an in-built timer
3. Oral-B Pro-Health Anti-Microbial Battery Powered Electric Toothbrush – The Best Affordable Electric Toothbrush for Receding Gums
Additionally, it is one of the best in removing particles and plaque from tight spaces. Thus, the unit is equipped with a rotating powerhead that features criss-cross bristles.
Moreover, the bristles on this toothbrush are also coated with anti-microbial protection. This aids in keeping the toothbrush clean and free of microbial growth for up to 90 days. Finally, its head is replaceable while its handle features a silicone rubber grip, which makes the unit comfortable to hold at any angle.
Pros & Cons
- Relatively affordable
- Quality construction
- Features a silicon rubber handle
- Equipped with self-cleaning bristles
- Features an ergonomic design
- Equipped with firm bristles
- Comes with replaceable brush heads
- Comparatively noisy to operate
The sonic toothbrush is affordable and the best-selling product from Brio due to its effectiveness in cleaning teeth and sensitive gums. To start, the product comes with a rechargeable battery that lasts up to 6 weeks. It also features a minimalist design. This makes it relatively easy to use and clean.
Moreover, despite being affordable, this toothbrush delivers a powerful cleaning experience at 31,000 brushing strokes a minute. This speed leads to the creation of micro-bubbles in your mouth for more effective cleaning.
Additionally, it offers three different brushing modes: soft, massage, and normal. With that said, you can customize this SmartClean Sonic toothbrush to meet your oral health needs. For instance, the soft mode of the toothbrush is best suited for brushing receding gums while the massage mode helps improve blood circulation in the gums, which facilitates healing.
Besides brushing your teeth, mouthwash is a great addition to your day to day dental regime. A considerable number of people today shy off from using mouthwash solutions because of the tingling sensation they produce in the mouth. Check this great article on why does mouthwash burns?
Pros & Cons
- Relatively affordable
- Improves gum sensitivity
- Fitted with soft bristles
- Offers a long battery life
- Features three different cleaning modes
- Best for receding gums and treating gum disease
- The vibrations make it hard to control
5. Oral-B Pro 3000 Electronic Power Rechargeable Battery Electric Toothbrush – The Most Powerful electric Toothbrush for Receding Gums
In addition to being friendly to receding gums, Oral-B Pro 3000 is one of the most advanced electric toothbrushes. It is available in three main styles and may be tethered to an app through Bluetooth.
This feature allows for an improved brushing experience and enhanced teeth cleaning. Additionally, this toothbrush is equipped with a visible pressure sensor, which will light up whenever you are exerting too much pressure on the teeth while brushing.
This also gives you more control over the brushing experience and curbs the receding gums problem. Moreover, it features an in-built timer, which is programmed to pulse after every 30 seconds of brushing. This allows you to clean the four parts of your mouth more efficiently.
Finally, this electric toothbrush can deliver up to 40,000 strokes per minute. This allows you to remove particles and bacterial plaque from the mouth without hurting the gums.
Pros & Cons
- Equipped with visible pressure sensors
- Ideal for receding gums and sensitive teeth
- Renowned for whitening teeth
- Features an in-built timer
- Can deliver up to 40,000 strokes per minute
- Features an ergonomic design
- Lightweight and easy to control
- The complex bristle pattern makes it a bit hard to clean
Buyer’s Guide: What To Look For
It is very important to remember that the right electric toothbrush mainly depends on your personal preferences.
However, the fact that there are hundreds of models to choose from makes things more complicated. If you go to a dentist with a receding gum problem, the practitioner is more likely to recommend the use of an electric toothbrush.
However, in order to buy the best electric toothbrush for receding gums, you must know what you are looking for. In this regard, these are some of the main considerations that you need to make:
1. Type of Electric Toothbrush
You may not know this, but there are several types of electric toothbrushes today. This being the case, choosing the right one can be a daunting task, especially for people with receding gums.
These are some of the types you should consider:
- Rotating-oscillating – These feature small, rounded heads. Most of the Oral-B ranges of toothbrushes belong to this category. In their functioning, they will oscillate-rotate in one direction and then in the other direction, around each tooth.
- Rotating electric toothbrushes – These have individual bristle tufts that can spin or rotating bristles arranged in circles. They are renowned for their affordability.
- Pulsing – Some of the leading rotating-oscillating and rotating electric toothbrushes are designed to pulsate. This allows the head to move forward and backward against the teeth as it spins.
- Dual head electric toothbrushes – These are the toothbrushes that feature two heads. In such toothbrushes, one end will be rotating while the other one sweeps side to side.
- Sonic and ultrasonic – These are designed to vibrate at high speeds and frequencies. Some of the leading brands are also said to drive cleaning fluids in between the teeth.
2. Pressure Sensors
If you are looking for the best electric toothbrush for receding gums, it is advisable to go for the ones with pressure sensors. Such toothbrushes are equipped with sensors to detect how hard the brush is pressing against the teeth.
However, the various products that offer this feature are designed to react differently. For instance, some of the leading models will trigger distinguished vibrations on the handle. This will let you know where you are pressing too hard.
This feature comes handy because most receding gum cases are caused by applying too much pressure while brushing. Other models will make a buzzing sound or even change colors whenever you apply too much pressure.
3. Orthodontic Brush Heads
This is another feature your preferred electric toothbrush should have. According to leading dentists, brush heads on electric toothbrushes should be replaced every after three months.
In this regard, the leading orthodontic models are equipped with bristle indicators. These indicators are meant to fade gradually to remind you when you should replace the heads.
4. Moderate Cleaning Mode
If your gums are receding, only a few of the affordable electric toothbrush models can do the job satisfactorily. Hence, instead of opting for an affordable option, consider buying a high-end product.
This is mainly because the various high-end products are packed with the features you need. They offer up to five different brushing modes. Hence, you can easily customize it to your preferred brushing experience or dental health requirements. In this regard, you should look for a model that offers a sensitive/moderate mode.
When set to the sensitive/moderate mode, the toothbrush offers a gentle action at lower sonic speeds or oscillations.
5. Built-in Timer
How much time should you spend brushing your teeth? This is something that most people disregard today. It is advisable to brush your teeth at least two times a day and for about two minutes.
Additionally, for better results, divide your mouth into 4 teeth sections. You should then spend about 30 seconds brushing each of the sections. A timer on your toothbrush will help you observe this practice.
Lastly, you should again know that brushing your teeth for more than two minutes can lead to gum irritation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Are electric toothbrushes better?
It depends on your needs and brushing habits. Electric toothbrushes are convenient, but whether they’re better than manual toothbrushes or not is determined by you.
The problem with a manual brush is you may end up not brushing long enough or scrubbing nicely enough. Meanwhile, as for electric brushes, you may end up brushing too long or too hard and cause damage.
Q: Can electric toothbrushes damage your teeth?
If you put too much pressure and brush too hard, yes; your gums and tooth can suffer. They can become oversensitive to temperatures.
Q: How do you brush properly?
At 45 degrees from the gum’s line, brush. Additionally, circularly brush your teeth. As mentioned, dividing your mouth into four sections and spending 30 seconds on each section would be best. Moreover, avoid scrubbing your gums too hard.
Q: Do electric toothbrushes cause gum recession?
No, brushing improperly using electric toothbrushes does.
The Cause & Solution
Receding gums may be caused by several things, including using excessive pressure to brush teeth. As such, it is advisable to buy an electric toothbrush that has pressure sensors to regulate this pressure.
You will also need an in-built timer and the right cleaning mode for this condition. As you can see, not just any toothbrush is suited for people with receding gums.
Regardless of your preferences, this guide will help you choose the best electric toothbrush for receding gums today. If you’re running late for work, rushing out the door, and you realize — you forgot to shave! Consider buying electric shavers and all you have to do is turn it on and go. You can be shaved and be running out the door in minutes!