Error code 10060 is a connection-timeout error when there is an interaction failure between the client and the server. When it occurs in email clients, it is usually caused by port and settings. This error can stop you from accessing certain websites, thereby limiting the way you surf the web. However, you can fix connect error 10060 by performing some operations. This article will review what this error is, its causes, and possible solutions for it.
What is Connect Error 10060?
This error is a timeout that happens while the client is interacting with the server. It can happen when you are trying to access a website or with email clients. If it happens when you are trying to access a website, it means that you have been blocked or that the site is down. The error message comes in different forms. Sometimes it comes in the format below:
“Outlook Express Socket Error10060 – The connection to the server failed Account: your account.”
Once this error message pops up on your screen, you need to look for a solution immediately.
What Causes Connect Error 10060?
Many things can cause the connect error code 10060. Therefore, it is not always easy to pinpoint the exact cause of the error. But I have listed a few reasons why you may be encountering it.
- Some incorrect email settings – Some people have encountered the 10060 error code due to incorrect settings. If this case applies to you, you should fix it by ensuring that the names of the POP3 and SMTP servers are correct.
- Firewall settings issues – You are likely to encounter the error code 10060 because of incorrect firewall settings. In this case, fixing the error will require that you disable Firewall.
- Authentication settings issues – You may also encounter the error code 10060 when your device authentication settings issues. If this is your case, a workaround will be to go to Settings on your computer and tick the box that says, “My server requires authentication.”
- Malware infection – You may be getting the 10060 connect error code on your device because of malware infection. When this is applicable, you should fix it by scanning your PC thoroughly for any malware infection and removing them.
No matter what caused this error, it would help if you fixed it immediately, it occurs even though this error code is not critical. This error can disrupt your communication via email and reduce your work productivity, especially Outlook is your means for communication across the organization.
How to Fix Connect Error 10060
I have arranged some of the many solutions to resolve and fix the connect error code 10060. To help you fix this issue, I selected and the best, quick, and easily do it yourself solutions. You can try them out and repair the connect error code 10060 all by yourself no need for any professional assistance.
Solution 1 – Check the Names of POP3 and SMTP Servers
Some people have encountered the 10060 error code due to incorrect settings on their system. If this case applies to you, you should fix it by ensuring that the names of the POP3 and SMTP servers are correct. To do this, you should follow the guide below.
- Check that the names of the POP3 and SMTP servers are correct first of all. Then take a look at the outgoing SMTP port. You can contact your email provider to find out the correct settings.
- Sometimes email providers change this value more than any other in their settings. Get it verified. Change the settings if needed.
Checking that the POP3 and SMTP Servers’ names are correct should be enough to fix the error, but you need to move down to the next potential fix below if you are still encountering it.
Solution 2 – Outgoing SMTP Server Requires Authentication
Sometimes you may get the error code due to authentication issues. When this happens, do not worry; it is simple to fix. Just follow the below-given steps.
- Step 1 – Go to the settings options on your computer.
- Step 2 – Check the box that says, ‘My server requires authentication.’
- Step 3 – Once you are done checking the box, try sending the email again.
This solution is most likely to fix the connect error 10060 on your PC. But if it did not, you need to move down to the next potential fix below if you are still encountering it.
Solution 3 – Disable Firewall
Sometimes your Firewall security may be why you are getting the error code 10060. So if the error is still there after trying solutions 1 and 2, you should try to disable Firewall. When you disable it, you should send an email with your Outlook account to see if it works. If it does, the error is fixed.
Disable the Firewall in Windows 10, 8, and 7:
- Step 1 – Open Control Panel. You can do this in different ways, but the simplest method is using the Start menu in Windows 7 or the Power User Menu.
- Step 2 – If you view the Control Panel applets in icon view, you need to skip down to step 3.
- Step 3 – Select Windows Firewall. Depending on PC set up, it may be called Windows Defender Firewall. Whichever is the case, you should select the option that says Turn Windows Firewall on or off. You will find this option on the left side of your screen.
- Step 4 – Now, in the control panel, type cpl command line, you can do this in the Run dialog box. Now, select the bubble next to Turn off Windows Firewall.
- Step 5 – Click the option that says, “Turn Windows Firewall on or off.” You will find it on the left side of your screen. Once you’re done, click the option that says “Turn off Windows Firewall” on both the Public and Private Network tabs. Save the changes you made and exit.
- Step 6 – Click on OK to save the changes. Now, the Windows Firewall is disabled. Repeat whatever process caused the error to see if you have fixed the issue by disabling this option.
Disabling Firewall should be enough to fix the error, but you need to move down to the next potential fix below if you are still encountering it.
Solution 4 – Scan for Malware
The connect error 10060 may be appearing on your PC due to malware infection. When this is applicable, you should fix it by scanning your PC thoroughly for any malware infection and removing them. A computer scan for malware detects and removes malware types, including Trojans, viruses, adware, spyware, and more in seconds.
By default, Windows 10 always scans your PC for malware with the integrated Windows Security app, also called Windows Defender. You can, however, perform scans manually by following the steps below.
- Step 1 – Open your Start menu on Windows 10 and type “Security.” Click on the “Windows Security” shortcut to open it. Alternatively, you can head to Settings and click on Update & Security. Then click on Windows Security and finally on Open Windows Security.
- Step 2 – Now, click on “Virus & threat protection” to perform an anti-malware scan.
- Step 3 – Click on “Quick Scan” to scan your system for malware. Windows Security will now perform a scan and give you the results. If it finds anything, it will offer to remove it from your computer automatically.
After performing all these solutions, you should be able to fix the Connect error code 10060.
Connect 10060 Thunderbird error
The Connect Error 10060 Thunderbird error is caused when there are damaged files on your Windows system. These corrupted system files can cause harm to your computer. This error may occur due to an incomplete uninstall, an incomplete installation, and an improper deletion of hardware or Apps. To fix it, follow the steps below. These steps are for advanced computer users.
- Step 1: Start your PC and log on as an admin. Once you are done, click on the Start button, and then choose All Programs, System Tools, Accessories, and then click on System Restore.
- Step 2: In the new window, click on “Restore my computer to an earlier time” option and then on Next.
- Step 3: Click on the most recent system restore point from the “On this list, click a restore point” list. Now, click on Next.
- Step 4: Click on Next on the confirmation window.
- Step 5: Restart your computer when the restoration process is complete.
The connect error code 10060 can happen when you are trying to access a website or email clients. It may not be easy to find out the error’s exact cause, but it is not tricky to Sometimes, you may need to disable Firewall to fix it. I have provided you with the solutions to help you fix this error. Now it’s your turn to perform these solutions and conquer it.
Marziano is a seasoned tech expert with over 15 years of experience in the industry. Holding a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and multiple certifications, including CompTIA A+, Network+, and Cisco’s CCNA, he has a well-rounded and robust understanding of various aspects of technology.