Using PDF documents is a widespread practice among legal professionals, as it is easy and convenient to work with it. But, a time may come when you need some other format instead of that PDF document you possess. In such a case, you will need to convert it to a document type of your choice.
This guide will give you a quick tutorial on how to convert PDF files to other document types. We will try covering all the popular format choices for you to understand. Let’s get started. If you find yourself need to editing PDF files on Mac, there are plenty of free and third party pdf to Pages converters available for you to use, both for Mac and windows
How To Convert PDF To Other Document Types Online
If you have access to the internet, you will find it very easy to convert your PDF document to any other document type of your choice in a few minutes. All you need to do is Google the keyword “convert PDF to” followed by the format type you want for the new document.
It’s a simple process that gives you many sites that have quick and free file type converting services. For instance, if you want your PDF file to convert to a Word file, you just need Google “convert PDF to doc file.” That will show the relevant sites offering the conversion service.
One of those sites will either have a drag and drop section or an upload button to add your PDF document for conversion. After uploading, you can click the convert button present there and wait for the file to convert. You can download it to your PC after that.
How To Convert PDF To Other Document Types Offline
If you need to convert your PDF document to other file types without online conversion tools, you can choose the following methods. People often use the offline mode when their document is sensitive or lack an internet connection to convert the document.
For this method, we are using the Adobe Acrobat Pro tool for converting, which is a reliable and daily driver among legal professionals, entrepreneurs, students, and other individuals.
Here are some of the popular conversion types that individuals often do.
PDF To Word
- Use Acrobat Reader to open the PDF file you want to convert.
- Click Export present in the right pane of the software.
- Select MS Word as the format for exporting the file.
- Click Convert, and let Acrobat do its work. For scanned text PDFs, Acrobat automatically runs the text recognition tool.
- After conversion, name the word document and save it wherever you want on your computer.
PDF To PowerPoint
One way to convert PDF to PPTX format is by copy-pasting the content from PDF to PowerPoint presentation slides. However, this will be time-consuming, and the formatting of your document might mess up.
To retain the formatting, you are going to need Acrobat Pro for PowerPoint. Here are the steps:
- Go to Tools on Acrobat and click on Export PDF.
- Select MS PowerPoint as the Export format, choose the desired PDF file, and click on the Export button.
- Save the converted file as your PPTX format file to any suitable location on your computer.
PDF To JPG/PNG
You might need to convert your PDF document to an image file, like JPG, PNG, etc. For that, you can simply save the PDF file as a JPG format through the export file button, as shown in the above steps.
However, if you just need a particular section of the PDF file as an image, you can use snipping tools to capture the screen and select the portion you want to convert into PNG format. You can find such screen capture or snipping tools online to help you with the process.
PDF To TIFF
You may also need to convert your PDF document to a Tagged Image File Format or TIFF, a common type used in the printing and publishing industry. It is ideal for bitmap images, which you want to edit later. TIFF retains the image quality, so it is preferred in such industries.
Here are the steps to convert PDF to TIFF:
- Open Adobe Acrobat, and go to the Tools tab, and select Export PDF.
- Choose Image, and select TIFF. That will open a dialog box.
- Browse the PDF document you desire to convert and select the destination to save the file.
PDF To DWG
DWG is a binary format used for CAD software. If you want to convert a PDF file to a DWG file, you can choose online conversion sites. Googling the keyword will pop out several relevant results that let you convert the file for free.
To convert this format, Adobe Acrobat Pro will not work for you, as it is beyond its capabilities. If you have AutoCAD, you can easily convert the PDF to DWG while retaining the formatting. Here are the steps:
- Open AutoCAD, and click Insert tab > PDF Import.
- Choose the PDF file you want to import from the dialog box opened in front of the screen. Click OK to start importing.
- Once imported, you can edit the document on AutoCAD, if needed. Or, you can save it as a DWG file as you usually do use other applications.
PDF To Kindle And EPUB
Kindle is an eBook format that comes with the file extension AZW or AZW3. You might want to convert a PDF book into an eBook to read it on a Kindle device. While PDF files can also open on such devices, Kindle format looks way better on those screens.
To convert it, you can choose the online method of Googling the keyword and find the relevant site to convert the file. You can also send the PDF to the Kindle email address, and they will convert the file for you.
Or, you can use Calibre to convert PDF to AZW format. Calibre is an open-source application that can easily convert several PDF documents at one go.
You need to download the software first. After that, you can follow the below steps.
- Open Calibre, and click on Add Books. Select the PDF files you want to convert.
- Concert individually or in bulk, which opens a new window.
- Select the format as AZW3, and click OK to proceed with the conversion process.
- Once converted, you can select Click To Open button to choose the desired save folder.
Note that the same steps on Calibre can be used to change PDF to EPUB format.
PDF To TXT
You can use Adobe Acrobat to convert PDF to TXT. Here are the steps:
- Select Tools>Export PDF from Acrobat.
- Choose the More Formats button and select Text (Plain).
- Choose the PDF you want to convert, and click on Export.
- Choose the folder you want for your converted file.
- After that, use Notepad to view the TXT file.
If you want to convert PDF to ODT file type, you can follow the same steps as for the TXT file.
PDF To HTML
To convert PDF to HTML, we recommend using Adobe Acrobat Pro. Here’s how you can do it.
- Load the PDF on the Acrobat application, and press the Tools tab.
- Choose Export PDF, and select the HTML Web Page format.
- Press the Export button, and choose the save folder.
- You can check the converted file by double-clicking it.