There are many reasons that cause a failure in which the computer stops functioning normally. This may be virus software, damage to system files, a malfunction inside components, and a number of other potential factors.
What is Smart Hard Disk Error
Smart hard disk error (also called SMART 301) is an error that can occur regardless of the version of the operating system. The error occurs on Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and usually occurs when the computer starts.
The exact text of the error is as follows:
“The SMART Hard Disk check has detected an imminent failure. To ensure no data loss, please backup the content immediately and run the hard disk test in system diagnostic. Hard Disk 1 (301), want to continue press enter.”
“The SMART, hard drive scan detected an imminent failure. In order not to lose data, immediately back up the contents and run the HDD check using system diagnostics. Hard disk 1 (301), press Enter to continue. “
Faced with this error, two factors become apparent:
- The device failed.
- It is likely that soon, and the hard drive will finally fail.
Before we get started with a practical walkthrough of error correction guides, let’s find the reason why the failure occurred. This will allow a better understanding of it and avoid the occurrence of such a situation in the future.
Causes of SMART Error 301
If you encounter a hard disk error 301, you should definitely pay attention to other accessories, as it indicates not only an indirect drive failure.
The main causes of the error:
- Error SMART-checking the hard disk.
- Broken IDE / SATA controller chip on the motherboard.
Regardless of what exactly caused the failure, the solution must be approached equally responsibly. Otherwise, it will not bring positive results.
How to fix the HDD SMART 301 error?
In total, there are three methods that are objectively capable of solving the problem. We arranged them in order to increase the complexity of execution, which will save you time and possibly fix the problem before reaching the scary word “BIOS.”
Method number 1. Check disk for errors
1. Open My Computer.
2. Right-click the physical disk that you want to check, and go to Properties.
3. Go to the Service section.
4. Locate the Check for Errors section.
5. Click on the Check button.
6. In the window that opens, select the Check disk command.
7. Wait for the scan to complete.
8. If errors are found, correct them and exit.
If this does not work, do not lose hope. You can always try to restore the hard drive through the command line.
Method number 2. Use the CHKDSK utility
It is possible that bad sectors on the device cause a SMART 301 hard drive error. In this case, the chkdsk utility will help you.
1. Open a command prompt as administrator.
2. Type chkdsk / f / r and press Enter.
3. Wait for the hard drive recovery process to complete.
4. Restart the computer.
5. Run the command line again as administrator.
6. Type chkdsk / f / r C: and press Enter. Instead ( C: enter the letter of the drive you want).
Confirm the process by typing Y and restarting the computer.
Note: When running the chkdsk utility, keep in mind that there is a possibility of data loss during the recovery process. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you make a full backup in advance.
If the method is powerless, try repairing the drive through the BIOS.
Method number 3. repair disk using BIOS
1. Turn off the computer.
2. Remove the hard drive and reconnect it.
3. Start the computer with frequent presses of the F10 key, and this will allow access to the BIOS menu. There may be other keys for laptops, so check the user guide.
4. Now run the hard drive test (located in the Advanced or Diagnostics section ).
5. Perform a normal computer start-up and check if the error has disappeared.
It is likely that even after applying the methods described above, the error will not go away. In this case, the only effective solution to the problem is to contact the service center.
Please note that a possible cause of the SMART 301 error may be damage to the IDE / SATA controller on the motherboard. Therefore, do not rush to eject the disc and first establish the exact cause of the failure.
We hope the article was useful to you and helped you find the answers to your questions.